Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Inside the Gig Economy

      The latest Biscayne Times has my take on the gig economy -- co-working spaces in Miami, the latest manifestation that the old economic world of full-time big corporation jobs with benefits is dying out.
       This is what has sparked considerable anger from both young Bernie followers and aging Rust Belt Trumpers: no steady work that earlier generations had been able to count on. As Richard Greenwald, author of "The Death of 9-to-5" puts it: "This is the new normal. It’s going to only intensify, and then the question is: What do you do?”
       When I started this story with a quick survey of online articles about co-working, I assumed I’d be seeing long rows of 22-year-olds hunched over laptops dreaming of developing the next Facebook or killer app. But after visiting eight Miami co-working sites, I’ve seen that the reality tends more toward immigrants in their mid-30s promoting non-tech businesses

No comments:

Post a Comment